Drug delivery remains one of the most important challenges in front of the scientific community. In order to develop safe procedures for the treatment of various diseases, scientists need to find the way how to successfully administer active pharmaceutical components to target location, without damaging healthy tissue. So far, many biologically active molecules with potential for practical applications for serious disseases have been synthesized, however very frequently these compounds produce negative, even deadly, side effects. Therefore, it is not strange that interdiscplinary research teams consisting of physicists, chemists, biologists, engineers, medical doctors, etc are dedicated to finding the agents with suitable drug delivery properties.
Application of various nanomaterials and molecular structures as drug delivery agents is one of the directions in which scientific community seeks to solve the problem of drug delivery. Many nanomaterials have proven to be potentially suitable for these applications, but thanks to the unimaginable diversity when it comes to this class of materials, there is a lot of room for research.
In this particular project, we have focused to the investigation of interactions between representatives of organic nanomaterials and pharmaceutical active compounds that have demonstrated biological activity against certain types of cancers. Within this project, mentioned interactions are investigated employing the modern first principles approaches such as DFT, MP2 and SAPT calculations. The main idea is to investigate which of the organic nanomaterials have potentially suitable adsorption/desorption properties towards selected drug molecules.
Project title (2020-2022)
"Understanding of the interactions between organic nanomaterials and pharmaceutical molecules in the development of novel drug carriers"
Project title (2019-2020)
"Nanotechnological materials in biomedicine"
19/6-020/961-32/18 (for 2019-2020)
19.032/961-99/19 (for 2020-2021)
Prof. Dr. Svetlana Pelemiš, Faculty of Technology, University of East Sarajevo, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina
NANOBIOTECH project in numbers
MeEt the Team
So far results of NANOBIOTECH project have been published and presented in several journals and one conference:
- B. T. Tomić, C. S. Abraham, S.Pelemiš, Sanja Armakovic,Stevan Armaković, FULLERENE C24 AS A POTENTIAL CARRIER OF EPHEDRINE DRUG – A COMPUTATIONAL STUDY OF INTERACTIONS AND INFLUENCE OF TEMPERTURE, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 21 (2019), 23329-23337, IF = 3,567
- Pelemiš, B. T. Tomić, S. J. Armaković, S. Armaković, REACTIVE PROPERTIES OF EPHEDRINE MOLECULE – A FREQUENTLY USED STIMULANT, pp 745-749, VI International Congress “Engineering, Environment and Materials in Processing Industry“, Jahorina 2019.
- Svetlana Pelemiš, Dragoljub Mirjanić, Dijana Đeorđić, Ozren Petrović, SOME OF BENEFITS NANOMATERIALS APPLICATIONS IN MEDICINE, Contemporary Materials, X−1 (2019) pp 28-34.
- Zivic, N. Grujovic, S. Pelemis, D. Adamovic, PROPERTIES OF THE HAND MIXED PMMA BASED CEMENT FOR BIOMEDICAL APPLICATIONS, Contemporary Materials, X-2 (2020), pp 85-92.
- Sanja J. Armaković, Y. Sheena Mary, Y. Shyma Mary, Svetlana Pelemiš, Stevan Armaković
OPTOELECTRONIC PROPERTIES OF THE NEWLY DESIGNED 1,3,5-TRIAZINE DERIVATIVES WITH ISATIN, CHALCONE AND ACRIDONE MOIETIES
Computational and Theoretical Chemistry, 1197 (2021), 113160
- Research presented at conferences:
- Stevan Armaković, Svetlana Pelemiš, Bogdan Tomić and Sanja J. Armaković, UNDERSTANDING THE INTERACTIONS BETWEEN CARBON NANOTUBES AND EPHEDRINE MOLECULE APPLYING DFT CALCULATIONS AND MD SIMULATIONS, International Conference on Energy, Water and Environment – ICEWE-2021, pp 457- 458 New Campus, University of Engineering and Technology Lahore 31st March 2021, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Contemporary Materials, Academy of Sciences and Arts of the Republic of Srpska (ANURS), paper will be published in the collection of works officialy published by ANURS.
- 7th International Congress “Engineering, Environment and Materials in Process Industry” Jahorina, March 17th – 19th 2021